Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Nook - Non-Fiction


Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer (P.S.)Chasing Lincoln's Killer
My favorite recent read was Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson.  It is a day to day account of the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln and the subsequent search for his murderer.  This story has always fascinated me – I even wrote my senior thesis at Creighton about it many years ago.  Many Americans do not realize the political motivations of John Wilkes Booth or that several people were convicted, tried and punished for the assignation – including four executions.  The story brings to life that fateful day and the national obsession with capturing its first ever presidential assassin.  As a history teacher I love that Swanson chose to write a companion book titled Chasing Lincoln's Killer.  My boys each consumed this book in two days.  This abridged version is meant for young adults and can be found in our media center.  I am not usually a fan of abridgments but for many long, thick history books can be daunting. Swanson makes this history accessible to everyone.  I highly recommend checking it out today!

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Sounds like I have found my next read. Great book review.